Tuesday, August 7, 2012

TEACHER: SHAME ON WEAC

An all to familiar WEAC response...

From: http://www.620wtmj.com/blogs/charliesykes/45184837.html

Email from an unhappy member of the teachers union:

Mr. Sykes-

I first want to thank you for spending time on the air to discuss what has been going on with the virtual school. I actually called in the day of the rally in Madison and spoke with you.

I am a WEAC member and a teacher for iQ Academy. iQ currently serves about 750 full and part-time students all over WI. Although not all of the students have been successful in the virtual setting, many succeed when they couldn't in a brick and mortar school.

Because of Doyle's plan, I am truly concerned for our future. I am disappointed with my union. As a dues paying member of WEAC, I wanted to share with you what happened today. I called Mary Bell, WEAC's president. I asked why WEAC was trying to shut us down and not support many of its members.

Admittedly, I was angry on the phone. She kept repeating that I was "misinformed". She told me it was not WEAC's intent to close us down. When I told her Doyle changed his mind at the last minute because of pressure from WEAC, she went on to say he never said he'd agree to the bipartisan bill.

She did not like my tone, and told me she had an appointment. She did not offer to schedule another time to speak to me, and in fact, she hung up the phone on me! I didn't swear (although I said crap and wish I hadn't), but who wouldn't be angry when the organization designed to protect me is trying to put me out of a job? Mary Bell couldn't handle the pressure of our conversation and she couldn't answer my questions. If I can't air my concerns with my union president, who can I turn to?

I urged the other teachers of iQ to give her a call. Many did, but her secretary stated she was not available. I then sent her an email stating that I'd love to meet with her and discuss this further. Of course, she hasn't replied. I will continue to contact her, even if it means driving to Madison.

I appreciate all of the airtime you have given to the virtual schools lately. If you have anytime to bring this up in the future, please feel free to share any of the content of this email.

Sincerely,

Amy Rosno

WEAC member and English teacher iQ Academy

No comments :

Post a Comment